1. Leo Varadkar is half Indian, half Irish as he was born in Dublin. His father is from Mumbai while his mother is from Dublin2. He is a doctor and wo
1. Leo Varadkar is half Indian, half Irish as he was born in Dublin. His father is from Mumbai while his mother is from Dublin
2. He is a doctor and worked as a general practitioner (GP).
3. He is an openly gay minister. He came out openly in 2015 when Ireland became the first country in the world to legalise same-sex marriage through popular vote.
4. He is the country’s youngest-ever soon to be sworn in Prime Minister at 38.
5. He contested under the Fine Gael party.
6. He is the 11th leader of the party.
7. He won with 60 per cent against Housing Minister, Simon Coveney’s 40 per cent votes.
8. He will be formally confirmed by June 13, after a weeklong break by the country’s Dail Parliament
9. His partner, Matthew Barrett, is also a doctor.
10. The popular minister campaigned for same-sex marriage and liberalising abortion laws.
11. He began his political journey by winning a seat in Parliament in 2007 and has rapidly risen through the party ranks, holding several ministerial portfolios including minister for social protection and minister for transport, tourism and sports.
12. His father Ashok Varadkara is a doctor from Mumbai while his mother Miriam, is an Irish nurse. They both met working in Slough in Berkshire.